Thursday, August 20, 2009

Day 4: Beautiful Outdoor Farm Adventure and Canning Extravaganza

"Goodmorning Goodmorning Goodmorning....."

late night last night, well, this morning I guess. Stayed up late working on some school and talking with Bethany on facebook. When I went upstairs Mrs. Graham was working on pressure cooking green beans and asked if I wanted to help. By this time it was about 11:00pm (mind you this is 12:00 am in Virginia!). Carissa was out with a friend of hers making bread and when 12:00 rolled around she still wasn't home. The parents got concernered around 12:30, called her, she didn't answer, so Mr. Graham called the bread place no answer, finally decided to go find her.

I didn't end up getting to bed till 3:00--Carissa and I talked and prayed for a little while--had warm milk with lots of cinnamon (kinda poured 2 or 3 tsp by accident), vanilla, and honey. Delicious.

Set the craziest alarms ever for 6:30 but didn't get up till probably 7:15. Quickly got ready to leave for the farm that Carissa works for about twice a week . Got there around 8:15, met Kenny who let me wear his boots which fit pretty well, and Zac the overseerer/boss, along with the other intern Lauren-- such a cool person!

We headed out to the field, stopping first to fill up a container of drinking water.

We started by picking green and hot peppers.
I talked with a volunteer named Dan who makes his own dark chocolate, and wants to start
a buisness.
Next we picked corn and then tomatoes.

Carissa and I sat and ate some of the sweet corn right in the middle of that field. Ahh, it was so very nice. Got to ride the golf cart which is always fun.

Then we headed over to the U of I on our golf cart (can't remember the building--somewhere where they process/make food)where we dropped off our goods.. Then we froze to death in the freezer area where we had to shuck all the corn we picked. I was sad I hadn't brought my jacket along with me. Went back to the farm where we packed up some tomatoes, green and hot peppers to take home with us. We were home around 2:15, 2:30.

Ate a delicious lunch of sandwhiches made with Carissa's delicious hummus, fresh tomatoes, green peppers, fresh basil and spinach, toasted on soft bread.

BTW, my dear sister Carissa makes some great sourdough bread and GREEK yogurt! :D And it's really pretty simple. I'm hoping that I can make some Brioche and Bagels while I'm here from a cookbook Carissa's friend lended her.

Let's see....took a nap in the afternoon after our lunch, wanted to go to Expresso up the road to do some studying but that didn't really happen---instead we listened to the alarm clock go off probably 4 times, then Rachel talked to Carissa about last evenings events--ended up chatting with her for a little while, before we knew it--when we attempted to leave, Mrs. Graham said dinner was almost ready, so we helped get that ready.

Ah, it was GORGEOUS outside today! This morning it was a cool when we drove in the wind, but so very nice. I will hopefully get some pictures taken tomorrow.

After dinner (that included LOTS of our fresh vegetables and fruit, hummus from lunch, and a green bean casserole thing), we started the fairly long process of cleaning the kitchen--included cleaning all the dishes, clearing and washing off the table, sweeping, (everyone had to help)...

and last but not least, we boiled and cut tons of tomatoes for canning---maybe we will do espresso tomorrow night. I start work tomorrow at the Orchard---I'll probably get off around 2:30 or 3:00?

It's 9:30 and I really need to get off, start reading for my class, and hopefully get to bed a little earlier this evening. ha, not sure that is going to happen.

No comments: